Triple European Rally Champion Kajetan Kajetanowicz has completed another successful loop. The Polish driver, co-driven by Maciej Szczepaniak, was setting competitive stage times among the frontrunners, finishing one of the test with fourth-fastest result, right behind factory crews. Great pace of the LOTOS Rally Team crew allowed them to move into top six in the WRC2 standings!
The second loop this afternoon consisted of three special stages, totalling over 72 competitive kilometres. Kajetanowicz pursued his plan successfully, fighting against more experienced opponents who competed in this event before. However, the Polish driver showed great performance and good pace which allowed him to challenge the factory crews of Skoda, Citroen, Volkswagen and Hyundai.
Special stage number seven marked the end of today’s running, mostly on gravel. Afterwards the mechanics had just one hour and fifteen minutes to convert the car set-up from gravel to asphalt specification. Top spot in the WRC2 standings is occupied by Camilli / Veillas in a brand new Volkswagen Polo GTI R5. The LOTOS Rally Team crew gained three positions and hold sixth place.
– We have completed a really good, fast day on gravel. It has ended quickly but I think we showed some good style. We had less problems with brakes on the second loop, basically there were just some minor issues. The car performed really well and so did we. It is very positive. We are fighting against fast guys, some really good boy scouts! We enjoy a strong support of the Polish fans and we can feel it inside our car. I am very grateful for this! Tomorrow we fight on asphalt and there is some rain expected. It can be equally fast. We will see!
– commented Kajetan Kajetanowicz, the LOTOS Rally Team driver.
The organisers have prepared seven asphalt special stages for Saturday. The crews will fight on two runs of Savallà (14.12 kms, at 8:23 and 13:28 CET), Querol (21.26 kms, at 9:08 and 14:10 CET) and El Montmell (24.40 kms, at 10:08 and 15:08 CET) tests. The day concludes with a city stage on the seaside in Salou – this 2.24-kms test starts at 17:00.
The rally takes place on 25-28 October, with its base in the seaside city of Salou. This is the first outing in this rally for Kajetanowicz. No less than 15 of his WRC2 opponents have at least one start here under their belts. This certainly does not make it easier to achieve the goal of finishing the rally in the highest possible position. The opening leg on Friday consists of gravel stages while on Saturday and Sunday the fight takes place on asphalt.
Starts of Kajetan Kajetanowicz are supported by strategic partner of LOTOS Rally Team – LOTOS Group – as well as Delphi Technologies and Driving Experience. More info about Kajetan Kajetanowicz and the team available at: www.lotosrallyteam.pl and www.kajto.pl, as well as at: www.fb.com/EmocjeDoPelna, www.fb.com/KajetanKajetanowicz, www.twitter.com/Kajto_pl and www.youtube.com/Kajtopl.
Rally de España 2018, unofficial WRC-2 standings after SS7 (top 10):
1. Camilli / Veillas (France, VW Polo GTI R5) 1:38:23.9
2. Rovanperä / Halttunen (Finland, Skoda Fabia R5) +11.8 s
3. P. Solberg / Gulbæk (Norway, VW Polo GTI R5) +20.4 s
4. Kopecký / Dresler (Czech Republic, Skoda Fabia R5) +21.1 s
5. Solans / Martí (Spain, Ford Fiesta R5) +42.0 s
6. Kajetanowicz / Szczepaniak (Poland, Ford Fiesta R5) +55.1 s
7. H. Solberg / Minor-Petrasko (Norway, Skoda Fabia R5) +1:05.8 s
8. Tempestini / Itu (Romania, Citroen C3 R5) +1:06.9 s
9. Huttunen / Linnaketo (Finland, Hyundai i20 R5) +3:01.7 s
10. Loubet / Landais (France, Hyundai i20 R5) +4:04.6 s