The longest leg of Tour de Corse comes to an end and the final loop brought many turnarounds and unexpected events. Kajetan Kajetanowicz and Maciej Szczepaniak maintained their fourth position in WRC-2, despite some bad luck during the second loop. Although the Polish duo had driven safely and followed their plan without problems, they stopped on SS11 in order to change a punctured tyre. They also stopped on the final stage and helped the second-placed crew of Camilli and Buresi, whose car caught fire. Fortunately nobody was harmed.
The LOTOS Rally Team crew, making their debut in a new car and getting to know the stages of Tour de Corse, maintained their excellent pace during the second leg. The Polish duo recorded second-fastest time on stage number nine. Despite bad luck on the second loop, they are still in top five among WRC-2 runners and they will continue to battle tomorrow, in the final leg of the rally.
– We have completed the longest day of Tour de Corse, with fourteen hours in the car. It was a demanding leg. We had some problems on the second loop, we had to change a wheel mid-stage. Unfortunately, our rivals, basically the fastest WRC-2 competitors, lost their car in a fire on the final stage. Thankfully the guys are OK. It was a huge disappointment because they had great pace. We avoided major dramas. We had some problems with our car but these are early days. We already think about Sunday, we will do our best. I hope you still keep your fingers crossed for us!
– concludes Kajetan Kajetanowicz, triple European Rally Champion.
Round four of the World Rally Championship ends on Sunday. The final leg of Tour de Corse consists of two special stages: 31.85-kms Eaux de Zilia starts at 9:45 CET and the final Calvi test – run as Power Stage, with bonus points – begins at 12:18 CET. The battle ends before 13:00 CET.
Starts of Kajetan Kajetanowicz are supported by strategic partner of the LOTOS Rally Team – Grupa LOTOS – as well as Delphi Technologies, Driving Experience and Pirelli.
Tour de Corse 2019 – unofficial standings after SS12 (WRC-2):
1. Andolfi / Scattolin (Italy, Skoda Fabia R5) 3:06:35.4 s
2. Gryazin / Fedorov (Russia, Skoda Fabia R5) +21.6 s
3. Veiby / Andersson (Norway, VW Polo GTI R5) +34.1 s
4. Kajetanowicz / Szczepaniak (Poland, VW Polo GTI R5) +2:39.9 s
5. Katsuta / Barritt (Japan, Ford Fiesta R5) +3:14.7 s
6. Yates / Morgan (Great Britain, Skoda Fabia R5) +3:32.3 s
7. Bedoret / Walbrecq (Belgium, Skoda Fabia R5) +7:30.5 s
8. de Mevius / Wydaeghe (Belgium, Citroen C3 R5) +16:12.3 s
9. Pedro / Baldaccini (Italy, Ford Fiesta R5) +22:36.1 s
10. Formaux / Jamoul (France, Ford Fiesta R5) +23:29.0 s