The opening loop of Saturday’s action in Rally México consisted of over 63 competitive kilometres. The LOTOS Rally Team duo of Kajetan Kajetanowicz and Maciej Szczepaniak maintain good pace although persistent car issues prevent them from showing their full potential. The Polish crew recorded another two top-three stage times and moved a bit closer to a podium position.
The day started with Guanajuatito 1 test (24.96 km), where Kajetanowicz and Szczepaniak recorded fifth-fastest time. They finished the following stages – Alfaro 1 (16.99 kms) and Derramadero 1 (21.78) – with third and second results respectively. Despite electronic issues which have hampered them since the beginning of the rally, the LOTOS Rally Team crew recorded eight top-three times on fourteen tests, including two stage wins.
– This is the longest day of the rally. The stages are a bit faster, with more straights, so unfortunately it is tougher for our car. However, I try to enjoy driving, especially on downhill sections. I do my best to see positive things. On top of that you have to stay focused all the time. One of our rivals, Benito Guerra, hit something on the last stage and lost almost two minutes. He is a local expert, with 12 outings in this rally, and mistakes could happen even to him. I said yesterday that with our issues we have to manage the speed even more. Every corner reminds me to stay humble, especially on uphill sections. We finished two stages in top three but we should be faster – if only the car had its usual power. The team is working hard to improve the situation. We are not the only crew with problems but this is how it is in rallies. It is a lesson of humility, patience and positive thinking
– says Kajetan Kajetanowicz, the LOTOS Rally Team driver.
After the service break the crews will complete another runs of Guanajuatito (at 21:56 CET), Alfaro (22:59 CET) and Derramadero (00:08 CET). The day ends with three short stages: Autódromo 3 and 4 (2.33 kms, at 01:38 and 01:43 CET) and Rock & Rally León (1.62 kms, at 02:26).
The 2020 Rally México, unofficial WRC-3 standings after SS15:
1. Bulacia Wilkinson / Bernacchini (Bolivia/Italy, Citroën C3 R5) 2:13:04.7
2. Fernández / Garcia (Chile/Argentina, Škoda Fabia R5 evo) +3:23.5
3. Triviño / Martí (Mexico/Spain, Škoda Fabia R5) +4:01.0
4. Kajetanowicz / Szczepaniak (Poland, Škoda Fabia R5 evo) +8:47.0
5. Linari / Arena (Italy, Ford Fiesta R5) +27:28.8
6. McKenna / Fulton (Ireland, Škoda Fabia R5) +57:37.4
7. Guerra Jr. / Cué (Mexico/Spain, Škoda Fabia R5) +1:17:57.6