The LOTOS Rally Team crew started their 2020 World Rally Championship campaign. Kajetan Kajetanowicz and Maciej Szczepaniak spent the last couple of days on gravel roads of Rally México – round three of the WRC season, their first of the season. The Polish duo did not give up despite technical problems and fought their way to fourth position, scoring a decent haul of points in North America.
This was the first Rally México outing for Kajetanowicz. The Polish driver changed the car and this was also his first event aboard a new Škoda Fabia R5 evo. Although he had to battle with electronics issues right from the beginning, Kajetanowicz was able to gain plenty of experience, showing very good pace on the stages. He finished nine special stages in top three, winning two of them.
The 2020 Rally México was due to finish on Sunday but it was shortened in the face of global problems regarding the COVID-19 outbreak. The decision to finish the competition after Saturday’s leg was taken unanimously by the organisers and manufacturers.
– Rally México has ended prematurely. I think it was a right decision, due to the global pandemic of COVID-19. Above all, we need to think about safety and health of all people. We were prepared. As professional athletes, we did not talk a lot about this problem during the rally, but we were obeying all rules and recommendations. We did everything we could. We have finished the rally and now we face another challenge: to get back to our families. I hope we will succeed. I always try to be the best, even when I win. This rally proved once again that we are able to cope with the most difficult situations. It is another lesson of life and humility. We have gained plenty of experience during this iconic rally, in beautiful and unique atmosphere. This is just incredible. I’d love to come back here
– says Kajetan Kajetanowicz, the LOTOS Rally Team driver.
The 2020 Rally México, unofficial WRC-3 standings:
1. Bulacia Wilkinson / Bernacchini (Bolivia/Italy, Citroën C3 R5) 3:01:25.1
2. Fernández / Garcia (Chile/Argentina, Škoda Fabia R5 evo) +4:11.1
3. Triviño / Martí (Mexico/Spain, Škoda Fabia R5) +7:48.9
4. Kajetanowicz / Szczepaniak (Poland, Škoda Fabia R5 evo) +13:59.3
5. Guerra Jr. / Cué (Mexico/Spain, Škoda Fabia R5) +1:20:02.9
Starts of Kajetan Kajetanowicz are supported by strategic partner of the LOTOS Rally Team – Grupa LOTOS – as well as Delphi Technologies, Driving Experience and Pirelli.