The crews competing in Rally de Portugal started the event with a short city stage in Coimbra, with plenty of fans along the route. Although this is a gravel rally, this test – less than three kilometres long – was run entirely on tarmac, so the show was really spectacular. Kajetan Kajetanowicz and Maciej Szczepaniak did a great job, setting second-fastest time in the WRC2 category!
After scoring an excellent second position in Croatia Rally, the LOTOS Rally Team crew begin another challenge in their WRC2 campaign. Kajetanowicz and Szczepaniak started with second-fastest result on the opening stage of Rally de Portugal, losing just 0.4 seconds to Marczyk and Gospodarczyk.
– As it often happens in the World Rally Championship, the real competition starts on Friday. We have started this gravel rally with a spectacular tarmac stage. Tomorrow strategy and proper tyre choices will play the most important part. Let’s see how we can handle this challenge but I think we are ready for fight. We won here last year but it is a different story now. There are over 40 crews in our category, including some ex-factory drivers. I feel positive and I am looking forward to this competition
– says Kajetan Kajetanowicz, the LOTOS Rally Team driver.
On Friday the crews will complete two runs of Lousã (12.03 kms), Góis (19.33 kms) and Arganil (18.72 kms), with single passes of Mortágua (18.16 kms) and the final test on Friday, Lousada (3.36 kms). There will be no service break between the stages. Another two legs are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday.
Starts of Kajetan Kajetanowicz are supported by strategic partner of the LOTOS Rally Team – Grupa LOTOS, technical partner Delphi Technologies, as well as Pirelli, SJS Driving Experience and Grupa Sikora.
Rally de Portugal 2022, unofficial WRC2 standings after SS1:
- Marczyk/Gospodarczyk (Poland, Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo) 2:42.8
- Kajetanowicz/Szczepaniak (Poland, Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo) +0.4
- Rossel/Sarreaud (France, Citroën C3 Rally2) +0.7
- Mikkelsen/Eriksen (Norway, Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo) +0.8
- Bulacia M./Der Ohannesian (Bolivia/Argentina, Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo) +0.9
- Araújo/Ramalho (Portugal, Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo) +1.3
- Suninen/Markkula (Finland, Hyundai i20 Rally2) +1.4
- Cais/Těšínský (Czech Republic, Ford Fiesta Rally2) +2.3
- Linnamäe/Morgan (Estonia, VW Polo GTI Rally2) +2.4
- Solberg/Edmondson (Sweden/Great Britain, Hyundai i20 Rally2) +2.7