On Saturday – the longest day of Rally de Portugal – the competitors have to complete almost 640 kilometres in their cars, including over 156 kilometres of special stages. Kajetan Kajetanowicz and Maciej Szczepaniak started this leg in very good style, setting top-three times on two stages and adding fourth-fastest result – moving back into top three of the WRC2 standings!
The LOTOS Rally Team crew maintain effective and consistent pace, avoiding mistakes which bother some of their more experienced rivals. Eight-time world champion Sébastien Ogier, who also had plenty of problems yesterday, left the road on stage number eleven. Kajetan Kajetanowicz also regained precious seconds after correction of his time – the stewards took this decision, as he was blocked by other competitor. It means that the Polish driver is back in third position.
– We started the day well, it was a good opening loop for us. I am happy that we are back in top three. I am also pleased that our car performs without any problems, this is very important in these conditions. It is a great fun to drive here, although the special stages are very demanding. We avoid costly mistakes. Now we are facing another very long loop, with important strategy decisions – in terms of tyre choice we must not forget about tomorrow. It’s great to see so many fans from Poland on the stages. This support – from them and from those back at home – gives plenty of motivation. It’s time for a short break and afterwards we have to maintain good pace, do our job and… drink a lot of water because it’s really hot here
– says Kajetan Kajetanowicz, triple European Rally Champion.
In the afternoon the schedule consists of another runs of Vieira do Minho (17.48 kms), Cabeceiras de Basto (22.03 kms) and monster Amarante stage (37.24 kms). Saturday ends with a single run of Porto-Foz (3.30 kms).
Starts of Kajetan Kajetanowicz are supported by strategic partner of the LOTOS Rally Team – Grupa LOTOS, technical partner Delphi Technologies, as well as Pirelli, SJS Driving Experience and Grupa Sikora.
Rally de Portugal 2022, unofficial WRC2 standings after SS12:
- Suninen/Markkula (Finland, Hyundai i20 Rally2) 2:25:55.3
- Rossel/Sarreaud (France, Citroën C3 Rally2) +9.2
- Kajetanowicz/Szczepaniak (Poland, Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo) +47.3
- Solberg/Edmondson (Sweden/Great Britain, Hyundai i20 Rally2) +57.1
- Ingram/Drew (Great Britain, Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo) +3:08.4
- Marczyk/Gospodarczyk (Poland, Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo) +3:38.0
- Zaldivar/del Barrio (Paraguay/Spain, Hyundai i20 Rally2) +5:20.4
- Guerra Jr/Fernández (Mexico/Spain, Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo) +5:48.5
- Teodósio/Teixeira (Portugal, Hyundai i20 N Rally2) +6:06.9
- Araújo/Ramalho (Portugal, Škoda Fabia Rally2 evo) +6:54.6